[Sca-cooks] Flambe and Flaming was post period

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed Jan 30 07:59:10 PST 2002

OED gives flambe as very late:
Cookery. Applied to a dish covered with spirit and served alight.
1906 Mrs. Beeton Househ. Managem. lxii. 1659
Flamber (Fr.). To singe poultry or game. To cover a pudding or
omelet with spirit and set it alight.

Under flame: one can find:
5. To burn, set on fire, consume with flames. Also fig.
1583 Stanyhurst Æneis iii. (Arb.) 79
Sundry hostes are flamed on altars.

I suppose if the "hostes" spoken of here are edible, then
this is food set on fire... but it seeems a stretch.

It's not listed as a term in the Prospect Books Glossary.

Alan Davidson in the Oxford Companion to Food believes
that the practice is late. Possibly late 19th or even
early 20th century. He indicates that it arises with the
grand restaurants or hotels that catered to the beau-monde.

He does mention that "flaming" the Christmas Pudding is earlier.
It is found in the Mrs. Beeton of 1861.
(Henisch's Cakes and Characters doesn't discuss flaming, unfortunately)
Hope this helps.
Johnna Holloway  Johnnae llyn Lewis

Stefan li Rous wrote: snipped