[Sca-cooks] Food Safety

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 30 14:11:07 PST 2002

> > I'm including a list of meat cooking
> > temperatures...had a few to many feasts with
> > undercooked meat.
>
>One thing I've noticed lately-- people saying that meat is underdone even
>though I've seen it tested with an instantread thermometer, either based
>on color or on other factors (blood in the joints of chicken, for
>instance).
>
>Now, I have a lot more faith in the thermometers than in the
>color/presence of blood tests... but for some reason others don't. What's
>going on here?
>
>-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa

The *one* thing wrong with the instant thermometers is that the user has to
**KNOW** the correct doneness temperature.  I have often seen people read
the temp they _believe_ is correct to assume the meat is done.  I have even
gone to the length of dragging out a book with correct temps to prove to
them that they possess incorrect knowledge.

The slow read thermometers at least have the type of meat written right on
them.  Much better for a lot of people!
Olwen