[Sca-cooks] Food Safety

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir nannar at ISHOLF.IS
Wed Jan 30 17:43:38 PST 2002

Gorgeous Muiredach wrote:

> Someone once explained to me that the younger age of the chickens, and the
> feed they usualy are on, causes the fact they can remain reddish at the
> bone in the legs.  This is not a "I know for sure", just an explanation I
> was once given by an actual Food Health and Hygiene Inspector in
> Huntsville, Ontario.  There is often no way to cook that out of the meat
in
> question.

There's an interesting article on this, with some interesting photos, here:

http://www.hi-tm.com/Documents/Bloody-chik.html

In short, it says that: "today's marketed chickens are considerably younger
and far more tender than they were years ago. Their bones have not yet
matured and are still somewhat soft and porous. As a result, there can be
seepage of bone marrow through the soft bone and into the surrounding
meat" - which is why the chicken, especially legs and wings, can appear
bloody and definitely unappetizing despite being absolutely safe to eat.

Nanna