[Sca-cooks] candied almonds

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Wed Jan 30 14:44:07 PST 2002

Thomas Longshanks replied to me with:
> And Stefan, with furrowed brow, replied.

Hmm. I guess I can do that. Can't wiggle my ears or roll my tongue,
though.

> > I'm not sure almonds and spices can be see as equivalent in this
> > example. While this is late in period, and both spices and sugar
> > have become cheaper, I'm not sure that sugar has completely lost
>
> This ms covers 1324-1450. Sugar is still pricey, based on the wording of the
> recipes that call for it.

Actually earlier than I thought. Ought to bolster my arguments...
However, obviously I've mis-interpreted things as several others
have presented examples of candied almonds or nuts. Thanks, folks.
I'll have to try these. Afterall, dipping or rolling almonds has
got to be easier than doing it with fennel seeds...

> > it's being thought of as the 'perfect food'. Spices, especially
> > the exotic imported kinds would, I think, be more likely to be
> > thought of as something appropriate to go along with this still
> > exotic 'perfect food', as opposed to more common nuts. Even almonds
> > were common enough to be ground up and used to make almond milk.
>
> But that didn't stop them from making prized turron with almonds, and I do
> have recipes for turron in the Sent Sovi and MS 2112. But turron isn't
> candied almonds.

Okay, what is a "turron"?

Stefan li Rous