[Sca-cooks] Food Safety

Gorgeous Muiredach muiredach at bmee.net
Wed Jan 30 13:58:31 PST 2002

>  (blood in the joints of chicken, for
>instance).
>
>Now, I have a lot more faith in the thermometers than in the
>color/presence of blood tests... but for some reason others don't. What's
>going on here?

I've run into that problem often enough.  People can't seem to be able to
bend their mind around the possibility that the thing might be cooked right
if it appears reddish at the bone.

Someone once explained to me that the younger age of the chickens, and the
feed they usualy are on, causes the fact they can remain reddish at the
bone in the legs.  This is not a "I know for sure", just an explanation I
was once given by an actual Food Health and Hygiene Inspector in
Huntsville, Ontario.  There is often no way to cook that out of the meat in
question.

Gorgeous Muiredach
Rokkehealden Shire
Kingdom of the Middle