[Sca-cooks] Re: Cookcon

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir nannar at isholf.is
Wed Jan 30 16:45:52 PST 2002

Stefan wrote:

> I hope you enjoyed your time in the US and at Cooks Con 2. I'd love
> to hear your comments on the event. I wish I'd made it to the event
> and gotten to meet you.

Thanks, Stefan, I'd have loved to meet you too. It was great just being
there and meeting so many people I've been communicating with for - what,
three years now? but I would have liked to see all of you there, of course.

I'm sure some of you are pretty isolated and don't get the opportunity too
often to meet others and discuss and listen to nothing but discussions about
medieval cooking - but just think about poor me, stuck here on a lava rock
in the middle of the North Atlantic, with no other amateur culinary
historian that I know of within a 1,500 mile radius - and then you can maybe
imagine how delightful it is for me to get to meet a bunch of people like
you. I just can't thank Mem enough for inviting me, or you all for being
there and listening to my papers. And I hope you people understood what I
was saying, more or less, despite my less-than-perfect pronounciation. If
you didn't, well, you can read the proceedings.

I also loved the feasts, not just because they were very good but also
because about the only times I get to eat medieval/Roman food is when I cook
it myself for family or friends, and there are no garbed servants, and no
live music, and no dancing.

I found all the papers quite interesting, especially Johnna´s story of her
pursuit of the old English cookbooks, and Thomas' paper on Catalan cuisine
and his work on the Catalan manuscripts. I would have liked to attend some
of the classes but didn't want to miss out on the papers and discussions.

Papa Gunthar, what reason did I ever give you for thinking I was anything
but the quiet, well-behaved lady that I am? Surely it wasn't that thread
about a certain Icelandic museum, was it? And BTW, if you think the food I
brought was stinky, just be grateful I didn't bring any of the real stinky
stuff. You can read about some of it in my book ...

Florida was a nice change of pace - one day of total relaxation, one day of
wandering around the Epcot Center and being a gawking tourist. I'd have
liked to stay longer but unfortunately I left a load of work here at home
that I had to get back to - had to go to work at once when I got home, which
was kind of tough after a total of 8 plane rides in 8 days. But I've
finished now so hopefully I'll have more time to write - there are a few
interesting discussions on the list just now that I'd like to follow.

Overall, it was a great experience and I absolutely loved meeting you -
well, those of you I did meet, anyway. I feel I've gained many new friends
and I hope to meet more of you later. Thank you all. Especially Mem.

Nanna