[Sca-cooks] Beef noodles and sour cream

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 31 09:25:03 PST 2002

--- Jaime Declet <jjdeclet at yahoo.com> wrote:

>  I am new to the list, so Hello to everyone.

Hi, Jaime ;-) Welcome to Cook's List ;-)

 I was
> under the impression that beef stroganoff is a
> medieval dish.  I did a quick browsing of some of
> the online books but of course cannot find it under
> stroganoff.  I have seen it served at feasts before.
>  Under what name should I look?

Uh, modern food, maybe?

Well, this is the problem with serving modern dishes
at SCA feasts. You're not the only one who, seeing
something served at a feast, thinks it must be
medieval.

As I understand the history of the dish, it was
invented by a chef for one of the Czars in the 18th
century. At that time, rather than using our usual
ground beef, it used beef filets, cut in bite size
pieces, and was definitely a dish for royalty.

I am unaware of any similar dish in the European
corpus of recipes, although Mongols and Huns might
well have mixed milk and meat. Certainly Jewish folk
wouldn't, and considering the strong resemblences
between the Arabic/Moslem dietary laws, and the Jewish
Kosher laws, it would be unlikely for them also.

Of course, just because I'm unaware of it, it doesn't
mean it didn't happen, just that I'm unaware of it.

Anybody else aware of any similar dishes? Particularly
served over noodles?

Phlip

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,