[Sca-cooks] Beef noodles and sour cream

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Thu Jan 31 13:06:14 PST 2002

> I am unaware of any similar dish in the European
> corpus of recipes, although Mongols and Huns might
> well have mixed milk and meat. Certainly Jewish folk
> wouldn't, and considering the strong resemblences
> between the Arabic/Moslem dietary laws, and the Jewish
> Kosher laws, it would be unlikely for them also.

I'm not aware of anything that resembles stroganoff in my very sketchy
survey of period foods...

Adding sour cream to dishes such as a beef stew does seem to be
characteristic of MODERN Russian cooking. I don't recall anything
of this sort in the few sources I've been able to find for PERIOD Russian
cooking--- that would be cooking by the Byzantine Orthodox and later
Russian Orthodox that constituted the majority of the population  in
Rus and the neighboring areas that later became Russia, Phlip.

There's certainly no reason in Christian cuisine not to mix milk and meat
(in fact as I recall not mixing milk and meat could get a converso Jew
inquisited in Spain). But I can't think of any examples.

Adding sour cream is also characteristic of some German dishes, though, I
think-- try German cookbooks.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa