[Sca-cooks] Beef noodles and sour cream

Jaime Declet jjdeclet at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 31 10:20:22 PST 2002

 I recall eating at a feast what to me tasted like stroganoff.  That is what I am trying to figure out if there is something in period that is similar concerning the ingredients.
  Philip & Susan Troy <troy at asan.com> wrote:

Hello, Jaime, and welcome!

While there may be related dishes that are very old, Beef Stroganoff,
using that name and distinctive chafing-dish cookery method, is
probably something either introduced or inspired by the presence of
Russian exiles in France, somewhere between, say, the 1870's and the
Russian Revolution. If I may ask, where did you get the impression it
was a period dish? (I'm not absolutely certain there's nothing like
it in period, but there's certainly nothing like it in the one
semi-period Russian cookbook I've seen.

The Larousse Gastronomique claims that the dish is probably named for
a wealthy mercantile family named Stroganov, or that the name derives
from the Russian verb, "strogat", meaning "to cut into pieces." It
says the dish, or related antecedents, may go back to the 18th
century.

Adamantius