[Sca-cooks] Beef noodles and sour cream

david friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Thu Jan 31 17:06:02 PST 2002

>--
>
>  I recall eating at a feast what to me tasted like stroganoff.  That
>is what I am trying to figure out if there is something in period
>that is similar concerning the ingredients.

The fact that you ate it at a feast is almost no evidence that it is
period. Some feasts in the SCA are limited to period dishes, but many
are not.

One way finding out whether a dish you ate is period is by asking the
cook afterwards--he is likely to be busy until the feast is
over--whether it is period and what the source is. The second half of
that is important. The cook, after all, may reply that it is
period--and he knows that because he ate it at some past SCA feast.
Unless he can actually tell you the period cookbook it is out of, the
odds are pretty good that it is not period.
--
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/