[Sca-cooks] Numbers, pates, and spreads...

Gorgeous Muiredach muiredach at bmee.net
Thu Jan 31 10:36:02 PST 2002

> >  Terrine being both
> > the name of the cooking vessel and the end product.
>
>I thought terrines were so named specificly because of
>the earthenware vessels they were cooked in?

Yes, that's what I was saying, wasn't it? :-)  They are so called because
of the earthenware used.  Terrines and pâtés are really the same thing,
except that one is cooked in said vessel, and the other is cooked in some
kind of pastry crust (with or without a container around it).  By
extension, any pâté/terrine mixture cooked without pie crust has come to be
called terrines.  Mostly due to the fact that almost no one uses the proper
terrine to cook them anymore :-/

>And, most terrine recipes I've seen don't require an
>aspic coating, although it is often given as an
>option.....

I wasn't implying that terrine required aspic coating.  It just happens a
heck of a lot.

I've been snowed in all morning, which is ironic considering I live a half
block away from the office.  But a foot of wet heavy snow is not condusive
to wheeling through it.  Quiet time to work on computer stuff from
home...  The grate just came and kinda cleared the parking lot, I'm going
to try to make my way to the office soon.  If I am not heard from again,
look for me at Spring thaw :-)

Gorgeous Muiredach
Rokkehealden Shire
Middle Kingdom