[Sca-cooks] Numbers, pates, and spreads...

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 31 10:01:26 PST 2002

--- Gorgeous Muiredach <muiredach at bmee.net> wrote:

> > > it is 'pate', french for paste.
>
> Nope.  Take it from this French guy, classically
> trained chef (yeah yeah
> yeah, throwing my meager weight around <wink>)

Yeah, well, I was collating all my experience with
stuff called pate's, and maling an experiential
generalization ;-) Besides, you weight rolls easier
than it throws, I suspect ;-)

> Pâté.  In this case, pâté means the "pâte" which is
> around the
> "stuffing".  that being dough, as in pie crust of
> some sort.
>
> >Pate's also are often served "glace' " (another
> accent
> >over the final "e" ), or " en gele'e" (spelling?)
> in
> >other words, covered with a glaze of gelatin-
> aspic-
> >as a freestanding loaf, and do not necessarily
> require
> >a bread item under them to be served or enjoyed.
>
> Technically, these would be "terrines".  Basically
> the same stuff that
> would be in a pâté, but without the crust around it.
>  Terrine being both
> the name of the cooking vessel and the end product.

I thought terrines were so named specificly because of
the earthenware vessels they were cooked in?

(latin) terra= earth, therefore terrine= earthen
vessel?

And, most terrine recipes I've seen don't require an
aspic coating, although it is often given as an
option.....

Phlip, learning and loving it ;-)

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,