[Sca-cooks] Numbers, pates, and spreads...

Gorgeous Muiredach muiredach at bmee.net
Thu Jan 31 08:31:30 PST 2002

> > it is 'pate', french for paste.

Nope.  Take it from this French guy, classically trained chef (yeah yeah
yeah, throwing my meager weight around <wink>)

Pâté.  In this case, pâté means the "pâte" which is around the
"stuffing".  that being dough, as in pie crust of some sort.

>Pate's also are often served "glace' " (another accent
>over the final "e" ), or " en gele'e" (spelling?) in
>other words, covered with a glaze of gelatin- aspic-
>as a freestanding loaf, and do not necessarily require
>a bread item under them to be served or enjoyed.

Technically, these would be "terrines".  Basically the same stuff that
would be in a pâté, but without the crust around it.  Terrine being both
the name of the cooking vessel and the end product.

Gorgeous Muiredach
Rokkehealden Shire
Middle Kingdom
aka