[Sca-cooks] Numbers, pates, and spreads...

Randy Goldberg MD goldberg at bestweb.net
Thu Jan 31 13:53:45 PST 2002

> For example, bean curd has become Tofu, squid is now
> calimari, as we've been mentioning, liverwurst is now
> pate', and the margarine folks have given up on trying
> to pretend margarine is healthier than butter since
> it's not an animal fat (it's not- saturated fat is
> saturated fat regardless of place of origin, and
> butter is said by some to be healthier than the
> chemical concoctions called margarine)

<snip>

Well, the argument always was that margarines are lower in CHOLESTEROL, not
lower in fat. However, as evidence accumulates that you don't really absorb
much of the cholesterol in food - your liver synthesizes it for you - it's
become clear that it's the precursor molecules that matter... and what's the
precursor to cholesterol? Saturated fat! (Your body can't make cholesterol
NEARLY as easily from unsaturated fat - in fact, you have to take it apart
carbon by carbon and string it back together again with the new unsaturated
bonds in place.)

Here ends the biochemistry lesson.

Avraham haRofeh