[Sca-cooks] Kashrut (was Re: Beef noodles and sour cream)

Randy Goldberg MD goldberg at bestweb.net
Thu Jan 31 13:46:23 PST 2002

From: <lilinah at earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] Beef noodles and sour cream

> Additionally Kosher law goes much further than Muslim law in
> subdividing the permitted foods. Of the allowed foods, there is (1)
> the meat category and (2) the dairy which cannot be eaten together in
> one course, although there are some interpretations that allow them
> to be eaten in one meal, if eaten in a particular order and separated
> by at least one other course (if i recall correctly), and (3) foods
> that can be with either of the other two, such as eggs, and, i think,
> fish. The terminology used for these divisions is usually Yiddish,
> rather than Hebrew.

Meat can follow milk if separated by at least 30 minutes and something
pareve and dry (bread or crackers, for instance). Milk cannot be eaten after
meat for four to six hours, depending on where your ancestors are from - the
rabbis believed that the meat would stick to your teeth more than the milk
would, and take longer to dissipate. The terms fleishik and milchik are
Yiddish; I think pareve is Hebrew. I'm sure Southern European Jews (the ones
who spoke Ladino/Judesmo) used other names. Pareve, by the by, includes
eggs, vegetables and fish - though some REALLY strict types won't eat fish
and meat off the same plate or in the same course.

Avraham haRofeh