[Sca-cooks] Beef noodles and sour cream

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 31 14:26:57 PST 2002

--- lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:

> >I am unaware of any similar dish in the European
> >corpus of recipes, although Mongols and Huns might
> >well have mixed milk and meat. Certainly Jewish
> folk
> >wouldn't, and considering the strong resemblences
> >between the Arabic/Moslem dietary laws, and the
> Jewish
> >Kosher laws, it would be unlikely for them also.
>
> This is actually not the case. Muslims have no
> trouble eating milk
> and meat together. The similarities between Muslim
> and Kosher laws
> that i am aware of are having the animals "ritually"
> slaughtered
> (there are religious requirements besides health
> requirements),
> slitting the throat, draining the blood, and not
> eating certain
> creatures.

<much good stuff snipped>

Thanks, Anahita. I had forgotten about the prevalence
of yogurt dishes in Arab cookery, and quite frankly,
being neither Jewish nor Arab, am fairly ignorant of
the fine divisions between and within the cuisines. I
understand both cultures argue about the finer points
among themselves- who am I to keep track?

I know just about enough to realize that if a Jewish
or Moslem person accepts my invitation to dinner, that
they're likely not strictly observant, and, as a
matter of courtesy, would not serve either ham or pork
roast, the one, no beef stroganoff, and the other no
wine, unless we had discussed the acceptability of
such an item beforehand.

Phlip, whose Jewish dentist loves a good ham sandwich ;-)

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,