[Sca-cooks] Vacation restaurants -- Ashland, OR.

Edouard de Bruyerecourt bruyere at mind.net
Wed Jul 3 23:12:38 PDT 2002

Ruth Frey wrote:

>	As of last year, 2 neat places that were still around were
>The House of Thai Cuisine (I think that's their "real" name -- my
>family just calls it the Thai place),

There are two Thai restaurants in town, House of Thai out towards the
east end of Hwy 99, which is good, but I was never impressed (to much
home cooked Thai as a young adult). The other is Thai Pepper downtown,
which is a bit more commercial and upscale. There is also the slightly
trendy Kat Wok, also downtown, which is my prefered sushi bar in the
valley (25% on Sunday) and has had it's Green Beans written up in a
magazine. It's sort of PanAsian food, little bit from everywhere.

Gepetto's is still good. I even go there. :)

Munchies is really good for big breakfasts, especially the Mexican type
(Huevos, burritios, etc). Even if just for dessert or cinnamon rolls,
they are wonderful .

ABC has gone too trendy and upscale and is no long that homey, quaint
local place. Starting to look like some Yuppie metro place.

Last time I looked, Puck's was still there. Conviently next to the
liquor store, too....:)

Actually, at the moment, I'm at my favourite place, The Black Sheep
(they just put in wireless connection to the Internet). A bit of an
eclectic British Pub fare type place. From simple pub grub to nice
dinners, even venison. Always a carvery (beef), fish, game (fowl, bison,
rabbit, etc), and vegetarian special each night. And nothing claiming to
be beer with the name like Miller, Coors, Bud, etc) Guinness on nitro
tap. One or two local brews on tap. Nice selection of Scotch. Dart
boards, board games available. Even a big red British call box in the
corner with a working phone. High ceiling with a smoke scrubber, but no
smoking before 9pm, and only along the windows and at the bar. Stays
pretty clean. In the old IOOF hall. One of the restrooms used to be the
old cloak room where they hung the interesting white robes and pointed
hoods back in those days. And a really nifty X chair next to the stairway.

Okay, so I'm biased about the Sheep.

Edouard