[Sca-cooks] Judging period cooking

Marilyn Traber marilyn.traber.jsfm at statefarm.com
Mon Jul 8 10:59:37 PDT 2002

Not that I judge, mind you but:

Most important - Periodness
Was it a period recipe or a 'traditional food'
Did they did the redaction themselves?
Did they translate out of original language themselves.
Did they follow the recipe ingredient for ingredient or have a really
compelling reason not to use a period ingredient, [like toxicity...]

Presentation -
Was it pleasing in the medieval/renn sense [duplicating a period
illustration frex]
Was it competently displayed in a period manner [on a period repro
plate/serving piece]
Was it well made [proper cut of meat, good quality ingredients, good spices]
Was the hot food hot and the cold food cold?

Documentation -
Where did they get the original  recipe?
How did they determine which ingredients were period [frex broccoli rabe
versus broccoli, cardoon vs artichoke]
Was the cooking technique one used in period [roast vs microwave...;-)]
Did they explain any variance from the recipe/redaction?

And finally - did it taste good?

margali

the quote starts here:
I'm having a discussion with some people about judgements of SCA cooking
in terms of the Arts. From everything I've seen on this list, the most
important thing SCA cooks look at one another's cooking in terms of the
Art (as opposed to the service) is "Was it made from a period recipe? How
well did they follow the recipe?"

Anyone care to propound a different theory?

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa