[Sca-cooks] Chorizo report, pan smoking

Druighad at aol.com Druighad at aol.com
Mon Jul 8 13:56:48 PDT 2002

In a message dated 7/7/02 10:33:13 PM Central Daylight Time,
rcmann4 at earthlink.net writes:

> > The translation of the recipe (and so the original, but Spanish isn't
> > something I read well) says to 'set them to dry in the smoke' but your
> > redaction cooks instead of smoking. I would think that would give a
> > different result, wouldn't it? Is there a reason you cooked instead of
> > smoking, beyond the obvious one of 'it was easier...'
>
> I don't have a smoker.  I've read that one can improvise with a bbq
> grill, but I'm nervous about cooking pork thoroughly.  Trichinosis is
> *not* how I want to make my reputation as a cook.

Brighid, what about pan smoking? Take a bunch of soaked wood chips, layer in
the bottom of a hotel or roasting pan, place in 500 degree oven and let start
smoking, about half way through, (I think, it's been a LONG TIME!) Place your
chorizo on a trivet or other slightly raised surface inside the roasting pan,
turn the oven down and let smoke. I can't tell you the exact temp to turn
down to, I think it might be around 225. Perhaps some of the other
Professional Chefs(Master A, Muiredach, ) can help with the temps.

You can use any food grade wood chips, just make sure to soak them over night
first.

Finnebhir Moon Dancer
Rhiallu Ulfhednar
Vanished Woods Shire