[Sca-cooks] More sausages

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 10 08:46:48 PDT 2002

Last night I made a different set of sausages.  The recipe is from
Granado, and it is for "rellenos" made from the lean meat of fresh
pork.  Literally, "relleno" means "stuffed", and most of the recipes
are for seasoned meat mixtures.  Some are intended to stuff
roasted animals or poultry.  Many of the recipes specify that the
mixture can be shaped into patties, etc., or stuffed into casings.
Some rellenos are put into pottages and boiled dishes, to add flavor.

I'd made this particular recipe before, and discovered that it was so
strongly flavored that I could not eat it unless I cut the spice
quantities in half.  Then the sausage is spicy, but quite nice, I
think.  And since it is *not* supposed to be smoked, it will be less
trouble to prepare.

The dominant flavors are fennel and pepper, with smaller quantities
of cinnamon and cloves, plus an unspecified amount of marjoram
and mint.

I'll post the recipe, translation, and redaction tonight.

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net