[Sca-cooks] pennyroyal in period recipes

Harris Mark.S-rsve60 Mark.s.Harris at motorola.com
Wed Jul 10 17:32:35 PDT 2002

Cecily commented:
>I have yet to see a period recipe that calls for pennyroyal, but
>I haven't been looking that long.

Well, a quick search of the Florilegium turned up these files
which include as period recipe which includes pennyroyal as an
ingredient:
cucumbers-msg     (12K)  5/17/01    Medieval and period cucumbers. Recipes.
Braised-Beef-art  (16K)  6/10/01    "Frankish Braised Beef - A Recipe from
                                       Anthimus' De obseruatione ciborum" by
                                       Lady Clotild of Soissons
Summer-Salad-art  (17K) 11/28/00    "A Summer Salad" by Lady Jehanne de Huguenin
Braised-Beef-art  (16K)  6/10/01    "Frankish Braised Beef - A Recipe from
                                       Anthimus' De obseruatione ciborum" by
                                       Lady Clotild of Soissons
Roman-Recipes-art (19K)  5/31/00    Some recipes from "Anthimus' _De
                                       Obseruatione Ciborum_" by Adamantius.
raw-fruit-vg-msg  (13K)  2/25/02    Evidence that raw fruits and vegetables were
                                       eaten in period.
The-Saucebook-art (33K)  9/ 2/99    "The Saucebook" by L. Allison Poinvillars de
                                       Tours. Sauces and the humours in the MA.
beer-msg         (118K)  2/ 8/02    Making beer, period beer and ale. Hops.
jalabs-msg        (51K)  1/23/01    Drinks with a sugar or honey-syrup base such
                                       as Sekanjabin (Persian Mint Drink).

I'm afraid I don't have the time right now to check through each of these files
for the specific period recipes. It is also possible that some recipes are
mentioned in different files. However, if you wish to spend some time checking
these files I think you will find a number of period recipes that call for
Pennyroyal as an ingredient.

Stefan li Rous
(The Florilegium is at: http://www.florilegium.org )