[Sca-cooks] Period cooking oils?

Mark S. Harris stefan at texas.net
Thu Jul 11 23:08:38 PDT 2002

El Hermoso Dormido asked:
> I'm looking in my pantry and suddenly find myself wondering how
> many oils besides olive oil are period...
>
> Is almond or walnut oil period?

Yes, but it depends upon which region you are talking about. Olive
oil was much more common in southern Europe than say butter. And
vice-versa. Each had advantages for the area it was used in.
Unfortunately, this also caused some friction between the northern
and southern region since the Church had rules about when you could
use butter, but didn't have such restrictions on olive oil. But
then the Vatican was in the olive oil region.

> Or any other oils?

For a lot more material on different cooking oils in period, check
this file in the FOOD section:

cooking-oils-msg  (40K)  9/28/01    Period cooking and food oils.

And for the opposing side :-) see:

butter-msg       (108K)  9/24/01    Period butter. Making butter. Butter churns.

    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net