[Sca-cooks] vinegar

Mark S. Harris stefan at texas.net
Thu Jul 11 21:36:14 PDT 2002

> Coal tar!   Never heard it made from that. Looked at my resources nothing
> about coal tar vinegar. All the vinegar and or ways to make come from
> organic origins.   Sieggy what's your source?    From chirhart

This has come up several times before on this list. I was rather

shocked that much of the distilled vinegar does come from a petroleum
source but apparently not all of it is. Still, I now avoid distilled
vinegar for anything but cleaning.
For some more informaiton on this, check these files in the FOOD
section of the Florilegium:

Vinegar-art       (20K)  6/26/01    "What's so special about Vinegar?" by
                                       Mistress Christianna MacGrain.
Vinegar-NJFCC-art (18K) 10/23/01    "Vinegar: Not Just for Cleaning Coffeepots"
                                       by THL M·irÌn ben DhÌarmait.
vinegar-msg       (51K) 10/25/01    Vinegar in period. Making vinegar.

    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net