[Sca-cooks] Green Tomato Pickles

Peldyn at aol.com Peldyn at aol.com
Fri Jul 12 10:00:36 PDT 2002

Since people are interested here is the recipe:

Green Tomato Pickles
4 lbs green tomatoes thinly sliced
3 med. onions thinly sliced
1/4 cup salt
3 med green peppers chopped
1 large red pepper chopped
2 cups cider vinegar
1 large garlic clove minced
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
3/4 teas. dry mustard
1 teas. ground ginger
1 teas. celery seed
9 whole cloves
1 (1 inch) piece stick cinnamon broken in smaller pieces

Layer tomatoes and onions in a large bowl, sprinkling salt between the
layers, cover and let stand overnight (I have let stand two hours with good
results). Drain in a colander and rinse thoroughly under cold water to remove
excess salt.
Mix peppers with vinegar, garlic and brown sugar in a pot. Bring to boiling
stirring occassionally. Add the tomatoes and onions and the spices. Bring to
boiling stirring to mix well. Turn down heat to a simmer and cook until the
tomatoes are translucent about 35 minutes. Quickly pack into sterilized pint
jars and seal. Makes about 4 pints.
Note: I have omitted the onions and peppers before and they still taste
great, I just add more tomatoes!

Peldyn