[Sca-cooks] Any late Italian evidence for tomato usage?

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Sat Jul 13 04:59:24 PDT 2002

A shire member who is working on an Italian Renaissance feast for the fall
would very much like to use tomatos if possible, but she is looking for
documentation.  She has already found the info in Gerard's Herbal regarding
their use in Spain and the "hot countries", boiled with olive oil, salt and
pepper "as sauce to their meat".
Since I tend to focus on Northern European and 15th century and earlier, this
is a bit out of my area :-)  Can anyone who has been working on Italian Ren
cookbooks and other similar sources point me to any info about tomato usage
that I can pass on to her?  Even if it is simply a notation that Italians ate
them, or something, that would be useful.  I am not expecting to find much,
but any guidance anyone can give would be appreciated.

Brangwayna Morgan