[Sca-cooks] Sausage update

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 13 18:06:08 PDT 2002

I took both kinds of fresh sausage from Granado to a baronial
meeting today.  Both were good, but the spicy one with fennel
tasted too much like a modern sweet Italian sausage.  The milder
one -- with cinnamon, saffron, and parmesan cheese -- was more
popular, and I think it's a keeper.

I've already posted the recipe, but here are the quantities.

ground pork 1 pound
salt 1 tsp.
grated parmesan cheese - 1/2 cup
ground cinnamon - scant tsp.
ground black pepper - scant tsp.
saffron - pinch
2 TBS water

The flavors blended together better than I would have expected.
The only thing I would change would be the addition of some fat.
Even though I used regular ground pork, not the lean stuff, the
sausages were still a touch dry.  Any suggestions about quantity
and type of fat?

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net