[Sca-cooks] Sausage update

Bethra Spicewell christina_elisabeth at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 15 22:33:38 PDT 2002

Brighid said, at the end of an interesting recipe:
>The only thing I would change would be
>the addition of some fat.
>Even though I used regular ground pork, not
>the lean stuff, the sausages were still a touch
>dry.  Any suggestions about quantity and
>type of fat?

I, too, have just purchased a KA sausage stuffer - it fits my Mom's old
Kenmore mixer/grinder perfectly.  So I'm also getting ready to
experiment with sausages.
Most of the modern references I've read say to use about a 20-30
percent fat to lean ratio.

I've been freezing the fat trimmings off of chops and roasts for a
couple of months to add to the meat. I bought pork butts on the really
cheap for .69 lb. to grind and use.
Also, I'm able to get pork bellies in the supermarket which caters to
the Hispanic populace. This is the same cut as American bacon, only
uncured and unsmoked.  I've been thinking about using them, but I
haven't got around to asking if I could get just one or two - the
package usually has 6 or more. It sure looks like it would have enough
fat to supplement the rest of the pork.

Question to the list:  Would this be close to what is called for when a
period recipe uses bacon ?
Or would it still need to be processed in some way ?

Hope this helps,
Bethra

=====
Christina Elisabeth de la Griffon Riant