[Sca-cooks] Dealing with ill-equiped Barons

Mark S. Harris stefan at texas.net
Tue Jul 16 23:08:42 PDT 2002

Gorgeous Muiredach the Odd commented:
>>On one hand, the Baron tells me the event has
>>to make money.  On the other hand, he vetos all my
>>decisions as to how to make the event profitable, so
>>that the event will be doomed to lose money.
>
> Sounds like he just doesnt' have a clue, and he may need to be (rudely or
> not) put back in place.  Have you actually put that in his face, phrased
> that way?  You tell me one thing but when I suggest something, you turn it
> down?  Sometimes folks don't realize they do that...

How long has this Baron had his position? I think that he may be in

over his head and flailing at whomever comes within reach.

Among other things:
"The position of Baron/ess is a most unusual leadership position.  We place a
person  in an obvious leadership position and yet we do not give them the
authority to do the job.  The authority rests with the Seneschal, the legal
representative of the SCA.  So, the Baron/ess must make his own way, using his
own leadership abilities to create an atmosphere where his populace will be
willing to follow."

This is a quote from this article in the SCA-INC section of the

Florilegium. A well-written article that I think a number of Barons
and Baronesses would do well to read. Unfortunately in this case,
under this situation, I doubt you can convince this baron to read
anything suggested to him.

Baronial-Lead-art (18K)  5/30/97    "Principles of Leadership and a Baron/ess"
                                       by Conor mac Cinneide.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-INC/Baronial-Lead-art.html

Another article which I would recommend to incoming B&Bs would
be this one, also in the same section:

Guid-f-Barons-art (61K)  1/19/02    "A Guide for Barons and Baronesses" by by
                                       Baron Hrolf Herjolffsen OP and Mistress
                                       Madelaine de Bourgogne OL, OP.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-INC/Guid-f-Barons-art.html

    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net