[Sca-cooks] Heat and last minute projects

Rosine rosine at sybercom.net
Wed Jul 17 05:03:23 PDT 2002

   Just a quick warning to the lists that I read with the greatest number of
last-minute Pennsic projects. Be careful of the heat as you work outside.
Yesterday, I spent a few hours in the (somewhat cooling) evening putting
stain and polyurathane on some boxes that will hold garb in my tent (Yes, I
know that's not a period finish. It's a "to do for now" project until
finances allow better wood) - and got wonderfully ill near the end of my
worktime. Seems that a touch of overheating and too much time spent around
fumes that were especially airborne thanks to high humidity and high heat
combined to be a *bad thing*. it's not the best way to encourage low
appetite and headaches.
   So if you are rushing to get those last minute fume-filled craft items
done, step away from your project often, drink lots of fluids, and above
all - take a break every 30 minutes or so to go in the house and cool off in
scrubbed air. And odd as it sounds - splash some water on your facee while
you're in the house.
   (Oh, and if you are staining things - sponge-brushes are wonderful! And
putting handcream on your hands before working means that it's easier to get
the stain off of your skin without making you swelter in latex gloves.)

Rosine the headachy