[Sca-cooks] need help identify these items

Alex Doyle dubghaille at wireweb.net
Wed Jul 17 15:15:14 PDT 2002

Hello, this is not strictly cooking, but I hope someone here will have a clue where I can go for more information.  I have recipe for a milled soap, from “Delites for Ladies” printed in 1603, by Peter Short in London.  I'm try to identify  what orace and cypres would be.  I suspect they are herbs of some type, in which case, knowing a common or modern name would be what I need.

A delicate washing ball- take three ounces of Orace, halfe an ounce of Cypres, two ounces of Calamus Aromaticus, one ounce of Rose leaves, two ounces of lavender flowers, beat all these together in a morter, searcing them through a fine searce, then scrape some castill sope, and dissolue it with some rosewater, then incorporate all your powers therewith by labouring of them well in a morter.

thanks Alex