[Sca-cooks] need help identify these items

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 17 15:33:43 PDT 2002

--- Alex Doyle <dubghaille at wireweb.net> wrote:

> Hello, this is not strictly cooking, but I hope
> someone here will have a clue where I can go for
> more information.  I have recipe for a milled soap,
> from “Delites for Ladies” printed in 1603, by Peter
> Short in London.  I'm try to identify  what orace
> and cypres would be.  I suspect they are herbs of
> some type, in which case, knowing a common or modern
> name would be what I need.
>
> A delicate washing ball- take three ounces of Orace,

Probably orris root, ie the roots of an iris...

> halfe an ounce of Cypres,

Cypress is a "modern" evergreen, found on the
California coast, although that does not guarantee
that it wasn't imported, or isn't found elsewhere....
is there a part of this plant, or perhaps another
found on the Isle of Cypress which might be considered
a common ingredient? Jadwiga? My herbal knowledge is
fairly limited to American plants and common period
spices.

Phlip

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,