[Sca-cooks] August 12th menu

Marilyn Traber marilyn.traber.jsfm at statefarm.com
Thu Jul 18 07:11:22 PDT 2002

Hm, we can do most of this without any changes...

Margali wrote: Neat - now if we can get it translated,
we might have it for dinner next pennsic for Phlip's
birthday...

>Antipasti
>Prune damaschine, fichi brogiotti, fegato in
>picchiante, crostate di ceruella, schiena di vitella,
>uva [? word unclear] pizzutella, & limoni trinchianti

>Antipasti:
>Damask plums, purple figs (a specific variety), liver
>in stew, pies of either brain:cervello or hind:cerva
>(I think perhaps the later), back (loin)of veal,
>a variety of dessert grapes with long pips (yes that
>is what it says), and lemons cut small

Well. plums we can buy easily. Purple figs may be problematic, but I suppose
I could do somethign creative with regular mission figs.
Liver in a stew could be small liver quenelles poached and in a nice pot
liquor based sauce. Brain pies - sort of like daryles with brain instead of
marrow? Loin of veal roasted with a nice sauce. Grapes and perhaps lemon
pickles?

>Allesso
>Vitella amedine, anadre stufate alla Pollacca, salami,
>minestra di melloni, sauor di noci bastardo

>Boiled course
>Veal Amedine (no translation found, name of dish),
>duck stewed in the Polish style, salami, soup (or
>dish) of melons, relish/sauce of bastard nuts
Will have to think about the veal dish. Anybody have any idea what the
polish duck recipe might be? That one that uses duck blood for the sauce? A
nice artesan salami, melon served fresh? and some sort of nuts - perhaps one
of the period candied/spiced nut recipes?

>Fruta
>Cascio marzolino, pere ricciarde, noci in uin rosso,
>azerole, & finocchio

>Fruit
>Marzolino cheese, pears with a sienese sweetstuff (?
>ricciarello? closest I could find), walnuts in red
>wine, medlars and fennel.

What type of cheese is marzalino? Is it something that is still available or
there is a decent sub for? Pears with a sieneese sweet stuff - poached
pears? walnuts in red wine? medlars may be hard to find and I can buy the
fennel pastilles [but Phlip hates anything anis-y or licchorice-y intaste,
so I can safely omit these ...]

margali