[Sca-cooks] Alcoholic choices....

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 18 12:53:56 PDT 2002

Vicente skrev:

> I'm planning a cold menu for a dinner party later
> this month, and I'm preparing a galantine of
> pheasant as one of the dishes.  Usually I've seen
> this dish paired up with either chaud-froid or
> Cumberland sauce.  One of my guests is a recovering
> alcoholic with a pretty sensitive palate, and I'm
> concerned that the taste of the port in the
> Cumberland sauce might set him off.  Since this
> gentleman is a former combat instructor for the
> military, the idea of wrestling him for a bottle of
> tequila does not appeal.

Vicente, have you considered discussing the matter
with him? I certainly appreciate your intended
sensitivity to the gentleman's needs, but if he's
going to be set off, nothing you will serve him should
be responsible. He is responsible for his own
sobriety, and should be treated as an adult in that
respect.

Certainly, I would never suggest slipping in a bit of
something alcoholic "because he'll never notice" but
some alcoholics are not sensitive to a bit of wine in
food, while some are.

One thing they all are sensitive to however, is being
treated like children, "for their own good". Please
think this through. I think you need to examine your
own attitudes to this matter. Perhaps a phone call to
your local AA group, or a local AA/Al Anon hotline,
might provide you with some much needed insight. You
may quote my letter.

Phlip

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,