[Sca-cooks] Alcoholic choices....

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Thu Jul 18 14:56:29 PDT 2002

> One thing they all are sensitive to however, is being
> treated like children, "for their own good". Please
> think this through. I think you need to examine your
> own attitudes to this matter. Perhaps a phone call to
> your local AA group, or a local AA/Al Anon hotline,
> might provide you with some much needed insight. You
> may quote my letter.

Phlip's advice about asking your guest how he feels is excellent.
But as for contacting your local AA about your attitudes-- AA is a
VOLUNTEER ORGANIZATION, which means that people you meet in AA will all be
at different points in their sobriety. Some AA members throw a fit at the
idea that others drink at all (I'm told this is a stage one goes through);
others are very laid back and don't mind things cooked with wine, or don't
mind if others drink while they do.

It's always possible that the person being cooked for has made his
opinions quite plain; or it may be that the cook is making an
overstatement for humorous purposes. Or the cook may not have talked to
his friend about it.

The right thing to do when dealing with someone else's issues is always to
ask. Phlip's right. It never hurts to ask, though if the person is in the
belligerent stage you may get a lecture.

-- Jenne, who dated 2 guys in recovery and has a kid brother who's a
recovering alcoholic.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa
	"Index your brain."