[Sca-cooks] Va eateriess

Marilyn Traber marilyn.traber.jsfm at statefarm.com
Mon Jul 22 05:55:23 PDT 2002

Figures they would ruin a perfectly nice jazz hangout by fern-barring it ;-(

I used to life across the inlet from the Duck Inn [in the Chesapeake House]
and went there at least once a week for over a year. I was depressed when
they dropped the hollandaise for a cheese sauce. One of the cooks there was
a friend so he used to make me hollandaise when I ordered the steamed
veggies covertly ;-0

Grate steak was great as Rob likes his meat turned into charcoal, and I like
mine black and blue. He'd start his steak when we went for the salad bar,
onteh second trip to the salad bar, he'd flip his and put mine on. about 5
minutes later, I'd flip mine again, we'd throw on the potatos to reheat and
when the potatos were done 5 minutes later, both our steaks were done just
right ;-) Where did they move it to? When We were there it was down my
Military Circle in that hotel.

[ob food] Is the wine and cake hobby shop still open? They used to have a
great selection of yeasts and vinegar mothers...

amrgali

the quote starts here:
The Jewish Mother has expanded and has satelite eateries in Portsmouth
and Norfolk. As happens, it's more unique qualities have been sacrificed to
Yuppie-chasing - the decor hasn't changed much at the original one, but they
no longer hand out crayons and folks aren't encouraged to wrtie on the walls
and ceilings. The satelite places are glass and chrome - and they host
kareoke.

   The Duck Inn is still there, the seafood is too good to mention to
non-VaBeach residents, and there's a new volleyball net on the beach. Oh,
and I think they redid their pier.

> Did they ever reopen Grate Steak? I miss a grill it yourself place ;-(

   It's open, popular, and I can't tell you about the steaks because I keep
ordering the Prime Rib.

   The Heritage Center has expanded and now sports a deli. Its vegitarian
food is *wonderful*. Pricey, by our standards, but worth it.

Rosine