[Sca-cooks] Milk and Nut Allergy Questions...

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 31 16:36:44 PDT 2002

OK, so, i sent my tentative menu. Because there are milk-allergy and
nut-allergy issues, i'd thought i'd query the collective wisdom of
the list. The only food allergy i know i have is to some (but not
all) artificial vanilla flavors. And i am sensitive to eating raw
pineapple - nothing serious, although i do get a mildly upset stomach
(but not intestines) if i eat raw pineapple with cottage cheese.

However, nut and dairy allergies can be much more serious.

My tentative menu contains dishes with cow's milk (although they
specify goat or sheep), almond milk, almonds, grated cheese, etc.
(see message titled Grains for Feast?)

Are most people who are allergic to cow's milk able to eat aged cheese?
Are most people who are allergic to cow's milk able to eat Ricotta cheese?
My brother has been lactose intolerant all his life. Milk is bad, but
ISTR he can handle most cheeses. I don't know how typical this is...

Are most people who are allergic to walnuts also allergic to almonds?
Or are these very different and separate allergies?
How common is an allergy to almonds?

I cannot make all dishes to suit all people, but i'd like folks with
sensitivities to be able to eat most of the feast... although perhaps
not the same set of dishes...

Thanks for any guidelines, pointers, information, personal experiences, etc.

Anahita