[Sca-cooks] OT, OOP--'Full Serve' in Oregon

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Mon Jul 1 12:01:30 PDT 2002

First folks- as to the pumping gas? It comes up in a ballot measure every
couple of years and it goes down. The people of Oregon do have a choice,
and they have repeatedly said no. (And if you *really* have to pump your
own, you can get an account with a card lock firm.)

At 10:41 AM 7/1/02 -0600, you wrote:

>I wonder occasionally at just how stupid and incompetent the government in
>Oregon thinks it's citizens are.  I noticed with great amusement the last
>time we drove through the corner of Oregon from Idaho, and noticed
>that EVERY MILE or so, there was a sign that, apparently, the Department
>of Transportation in Oregon paid to have posted saying "Double Yellow Line
>means Do Not Pass".....

Ok- I have lived in Oregon since 1984, and I have never seen those signs. I
have however been through those hills East of La Grande, and the frequency
with which drivers cross the line while going around those turns is really
scary. Also that is a main truckin groute, and truckers come from all over-
and laws are not uniform from state to state. Frankly the idea that there
is frequent signage out there to remind them the We Mean It, Stanley! is
something like reassuring. I don't think anyone thinks drivers are stupid-
just unfamiliar, distracted, and probably tired and worried about their
brakes...

>Somehow, I just can't imagine people in Oregon being quite that ignorant,
when
>every other state I've been in expects people to already KNOW this when they
>start driving (what kind of people are you electing out there in Oregon????)

Dunno where you live, but I'll tell you- in the Portland Metro area, if you
pull over 10 drivers, chances are really good that 7 of them are from
Somewhere Else. And I'll tell you, all I had to do, coming from Washington,
was to surrender my Washington license, take the eye test, and fork over
the $$$. License transfers do no require a familiarlity with Oregon laws.
And It has little to do with who we elect- DOT positions are not elective.

OFC- much of the Willamette (*Will-AA-mut* though the 'u' should be the
upside-down e, the schwa) Valley is agricultural, and you really haven't
lived until A) you've driven down Hwy 99 near Monroe just after they've
been cutting the mint, B) been stuck behind a truck full and heaping over
the top of fat yellow onions. Phwehw!

'Lainie
-yeah, I kinda like it here