[Sca-cooks] OT, OOP--'Full Serve' in Oregon

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Mon Jul 1 13:08:33 PDT 2002

At 01:39 PM 7/1/02 -0600, you wrote:
>On Monday 01 July 2002 01:01 pm, Laura C. Minnick wrote:

>I don't think anyone thinks drivers are stupid-
>> just unfamiliar, distracted, and probably tired and worried about their
>> brakes...

>[...] Actually, that idea had occurred to me - I hadn't seen those
>signs along the coast when I drove through Oregon there.  The signs were down
>in the southeast corner of Oregon, on the highway cutting through there
>between Idaho and Nevada.  It just seemed silly to put them EVERY MILE or so
>(which means anyone who would be reminded of anything by them will tend to
>"tune them out" as a regular feature anyway)

Well, Have you ever driven a truck over those hills? Or a station wagon
full of kids? As someone with too many station wagon miles on her hips, I
can tell you that the more kids, the more likely you don't see but about
half the signage...

> and not word them as more of
>a blatant warning/threat, i.e. "You WILL be fined for crossing the double
>yellow line" (analogous to signs I've seen elsewhere with things like "Double
>fines for speeding in construction zones" rather than "it's illegal to
>exceed the speed limit"...)

But we all know it's illegal to speed- however, knowing that the fine is
DOUBLE is a bit more of a deterrent...

>It's just that until I saw those signs, the "you're not competent
>to pump your own gas" (as I understand it, the law FORBIDS self service, not
>just "requires full service to be offered") law was a lone quirk of Oregon
>legal attitude that just made the "oh, and you may not realize that double
>yellow line means no passing" implication of the signs seem awfully funny
>to me when I saw them...)

There are two states that forbid self service- I think the other one is
Vermont. And I don't think we can prove or disprove any intent of the state
to infer that we are not competent. The law came from the State Fire
Marshal- take it up with them.

However, I do not mind at all having someone else pump the gas. Heck, I
know how to milk a goat, too- doesn't mean I want to do it myself. What I
do resent is that most of the stations now require you to get out of the
car and go inside to pay, frequently waiting in line behind some guy with a
bladder-buster drink, two hot dogs, and a carton of cigarettes. So do I
leave the kids in the car? What about pets? And when it's raining? I much
prefer the stations where you hand the money or plastic to the same kids
who pumps your gas. (Leaves me time to scribble out my mileage without some
yahoo honking at me too.)

'Lainie
-how did we get onto the subject anyway?