[Sca-cooks] Boar in Counfett

Cindy M. Renfrow cindy at thousandeggs.com
Mon Jul 1 13:12:27 PDT 2002

>Ancient Cookery is Arundel 334 and was published
>with Warner in 1790. It's located in the British Library.
>It's dated XVth century or 15th century. [Warner was
>the edition of the FofC that Prospect published in that
>nice limited facsimile.]
>
>Checking that edition-- the recipe is on page 79
>Boor in confith... yes that's the long s.
>
>the phrase here is "lye in merfaufe (in foak) an houre"
>
>Johnna Holloway  Johnnae llyn Lewis

Hi. Now you've got me confused. We seem to have 3 different MSS named
Ancient Cookery:

1-the one I mentioned which is Arundel _344_ (first 4 recipes are Potage de
Frumenty, grounden Benes, Drawen Benes, Growell of Forse. MS begins on p.
423),

2-Arundel _334_ you mentioned here,

3-and one at the end of Pegge's Forme of Cury dated 1381 which does not
contain this recipe (first 4 recipes are For to make Furmenty, For to make
Pise of Almayne, Cranys and Herons, Pecokys and Partrigchis. MS begins on
p. 91).

Are Arundel 344 and 334 copies of each other?

Cindy