[Sca-cooks] Recipe: The Cake That Woke Up Cleveland*

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Tue Jul 2 09:22:05 PDT 2002

Since Mistress Kiri asked so nicely...

Hershey's Black Magic Cake (from the Hershey's web site)

. 2 cups sugar
. 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
. 3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
. 2 teaspoons baking soda
. 1 teaspoon baking powder
. 1 teaspoon salt
. 2 eggs
. 1 cup buttermilk or sour milk*
. 1 cup strong black coffee OR 2 teaspoons powdered instant coffee plus 1
cup boiling water
. 1/2 cup vegetable oil
. 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

  1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans or
one 13x9x2-inch baking pan.

2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt
in large bowl. Add eggs, buttermilk, coffee, oil and vanilla; beat on
medium speed of mixer 2 minutes (batter will be thin). Pour batter evenly
into prepared pans.

3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes for round pans, 35 to 40 minutes for rectangular
pan or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10
minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost as
desired. 10 to 12 servings.

* To sour milk: Use 1 tablespoon white vinegar plus milk to equal 1 cup.

Chocolate Mocha Mousse cake filling

2 c heavy cream
1 bag Ghirardelli Double Chocolate chips
1-3 T instant coffee to taste

Heat gently, stirring frequently, until chocolate is melted and everything
is combined. Cover with plastic wrap to seal the surface (ie, so the
plastic wrap is actually touching the surface) and chill. Whip until
fluffy.

I honestly don't remember which recipe I used for buttercream, except that
it wasn't Wilton's travesty, it had actual butter in it, and it only made
about 2 cups. This one should work fine:

Title: Chocolate Mocha Frosting
  Categories: Cakes
       Yield: 8 servings

     1/2 c  Butter or margarine;
            -softened
       5 c  Powdered sugar; sifted
     1/4 c  Cocoa
     1/4 c  Strong coffee
       2 ts Vanilla extract
       2 tb Whipping cream (optional)

   Recipe by: Southern Living
   Preparation Time: 0:05
   Cream butter at medium speed of an electric mixer; add
   sugar, cocoa, coffee, and vanilla, beating until fluffy.
   Add enough whipping cream, if necessary, to make frosting a
   spreading consistency, beating well.  Yield: 2-1/2 cups.

Assembly: Before assembly, chill both the cake and the mousse. Cool the
buttercream but don't chill it too much or it will be too hard to work
with.

You will need an icing bag, coupler, and spiffy star tip, a long serrated
knife, an icing spatula, and probably at least one rubber spatula.

Torte your cooled cake layers (translation, slice in half widthwise, to
make two layers half the thickness of the original layer). Outfit an
icing bag with a coupler, and fill it with the buttercream. Make a ring of
buttercream on the first cake layer, almost to the edge but not quite.
Fill the resulting circle with mousse. Top with the next layer. Repeat
until all four layers are stacked nicely. Don't put a ring of buttercream
on the top layer yet. If the buttercream is too soft, you may need to
chill the layer before adding the next one.

Put the spiffy star tip on the coupler. Add more icing to the bag if
necessary.

Frost the sides of the cake, but not the top, with the buttercream. Make
the top edge nice and even with the top. Using the star tip, put a ring of
rosettes around the outer edge of the cake, so that the rosettes are just
touching. Fill the center with the mousse. Add more rosettes on top of the
mousse in a attractive pattern (I put one in the center, and then another
ring half-way in). Decorate the rosettes with chocolate-covered espresso
beans. Chill for about a half-hour to an hour, depending on how hot it was
where you were assembling the cake.

*The first time I made this cake, for someone's birthday, one of the
comments made about it was "Wow. There's enough caffeine and sugar in that
cake to wake up Cleveland." I figured it was a better name than the "You
Could Be a Lesbian" cake--my cousin, who knows nothing about my
orientation, said "You could be a lesbian with this cake. Women would just
follow you everywhere." I was very proud of myself for not actually saying
anything incriminating in front of my mother. :-)

Margaret