[Sca-cooks] Workshop with Cariadoc

Sharron Albert morgana at gci.net
Thu Jul 4 02:05:06 PDT 2002

Greetings!

The Barony of Winter's Gate, in far north Oertha, land of the midnight sun,
Kingdom of the West, was most pleased to host Master Cariadoc and Mistress
Elizabeth for a weekend (just past). They spoke of many things, shared
their enthusiasm, taught many classes, and most importantly to this list,
ran one of their cooking workshops on Friday. We redacted eight recipes,
only one of which had been cooked before (by them), and that one wasn't a
true 'second try,' as there were variations in the original recipe itself.

We each took a recipe and cooked it, with much consultations and guesswork,
carefully noted all ingredients, amounts, cooking times, etc., all of which
will eventually be included in the next Miscellany. As each dish was
finished, we all tasted same, and made comments (too much pepper, too
bland, yummy, etc.). Master Cariadoc gave me permission to share our
results with you, which I will do as soon as he returns to West and sends
me the full details.

I have long wished that I could participate in one of these workshops, and
can only say it was much fun, and our group will probably be attempting
them ourselves 2-3 times a year. We expect to make more mistakes because we
will not have Cariadoc and Elizabeth to confer with, but I don't think
that's going to stop us. If you have an opportunity to participate in one
of these, I heartily recommend it. In fact, I'd recommend catching anything
he teaches: his sheer enthusiasm for mining period materials and making
them yours is delightful and highly contagious (G).

Here's a list of the recipes we tried. If anyone would like to give any of
them a try before I get our results to the list, email me offlist and I'll
send the recipe with which we started. Otherwise I'll post them with the
redactions.

Pomada (De Nola #16): apple mush w/chicken broth
Berenjenas a la Morisca (De Nola #52): Moorish eggplant pottage w/meat broth
Manjar Lento o Suave (De Nola #14): custard: "slow or smooth" dish
Creteyney (Ordinance of Potage #38): chicken w/hardboiled eggs
Soupes (Ordinance of Potage #41): sops with honey/marrow sauce
Cazuela de Carne (De Nola#124): meat cassserole (retry)
Chawettys Fryidde and a-forsed (2 15th Century p. 45 & 46): pork & marrow
filled pasties
Froyse out of Lentyn (2 15th Century p. 45): meat and eggs dish

I'll say this much so far: there wasn't a dud in the bunch, but the Cazuela
(for which we used lamb) and the eggplant dish were the most popular. A
number of us were hesitant about the eggplant, tasted about a
tablespoon-full and went back for much more.

Stayed tuned for the results!

Morgana yr Oerfa

Morgana yr Oerfa                   	*     Sharron Albert
Baroness Winter's Gate/Oertha/West	*     morgana at gci.net
Per saltire gules and sable,		*     Babylon 5/science fiction
in pale two mullets and 		*     (astrology/tarot)
in fess an increscent			*     I saw nothing unusual in the
teacher's
and a decrescent argent.        		*          lounge. --Bart
Simpson