[Sca-cooks] Chorizo report

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 7 20:44:57 PDT 2002

On 7 Jul 2002, at 20:47, Laura C. Minnick wrote:

> >I don't have a smoker.  I've read that one can improvise with a bbq
> >grill, but I'm nervous about cooking pork thoroughly.  Trichinosis is
> >*not* how I want to make my reputation as a cook.
>
> That's reasonable. However, do we know what they would have been like
> if they were smoked? A flavor difference? Texture? I'm not trying to
> be difficult- it's just that when I make a substitution, I like to be
> able to know what the other outcome would have been, if that...
> makes... any... sense?

Oh, certainly.  I generally do that.  One option I'm looking at is to
find a butcher/smokehouse that will produce them for me.  But first
I wanted to determine if they tasted good.  I have another sausage
recipe which is *not* smoked.  It's seasoned with fennel and tastes
rather like a sweet Italian sausage.  I liked the idea of the chorizos
because they had a less common seasoning.

> >> Just wondering. I quite agree with the old saw about sausages and
> >> laws being things one should never see being made...
> >
> >That's asuming that all kinds of yucky scraps are going into the
> >sausage -- this wasn't any worse than meatloaf.
>
> My kids used to get grossed out watching me make meatloaf, because I
> mix it with my hands... raw eggs and all :-)

That doesn't gross me out, but I prefer to avoid the mess.

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net