[Sca-cooks] Chorizo report and some questions

ana l. valdés agora at algonet.se
Mon Jul 8 02:50:48 PDT 2002

I went curious about the sausages and their roll in the Spanish kitchen
after the reading of the nice report from lady Brighid! In a book called
"Manual de Matanza", I did find some recipes and a through analys of the
methods of killing and preserving the pork. The author says the "red
sausage" can't ha been able to me made in Spain before the 17th century,
since the red peppar did'nt come to Spain and became growed before that
time.
The author traces the spain typical sausages, "longaniza", and "morcilla" to
the Romans and find the words taken from tbe Latin words "morellus" or
"maurum", and "lucanicia".
His theory is the sausages were white before the 17th century.
Is it true?
Ana