[Sca-cooks] Chorizo report

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 7 21:55:17 PDT 2002

On 7 Jul 2002, at 21:55, Sue Clemenger wrote:

> Question:
> With this type of sausage, is the smoking intended to just add flavor,
> or does it serve as a preservative/cooking method? "Setting them to
> dry" almost sounds like a pepperoni or something, instead of what I
> think of as a "fresh" sausage like bratwurst....

I don't know.  I'm looking into that.

> Do you get any sense
> (from this or other recipes in the same collection) that the Spanish
> were using them for the same kinds of recipes that (oh, heck, which
> german cookbook was that....???)Welserin??? was using sausages for? (I
> have some vague recollection of an earlier thread about very salty
> sausages, and an intended use in some sort of salad???) Or were they
> intended more for eating, as _sausages_, the way we eat brats and
> stuff today...?

This particular collection has very few food recipes.  The only other
"sausage" recipe in it is for a kind of sweet boiled pudding in a
sausage casing.  Modern Spanish chorizos come in about 50
varieties.  Some are fresh and some are semi-cured.  Most seem
to be marinated.  Some are used for cooking, and some are eaten
straight.

The research continues.

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net