[Sca-cooks] Chorizo report

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 8 09:16:35 PDT 2002

You wrote:

The original recipe is from the _Manual de Mugeres_, an anonymous
household manual from the late 15th/early16th century.  It was obviously
written for a wealthy household, since it contains many costly recipes for
perfumes and cosmetics.

Receta para hacer chorizos

Carne de puerco magra y gorda picada, harina muy cernida, ajos
mondados, clavos molidos, vino blanco, sal la que fuere menester.
Amasarlo todo con el vino y después de masado, dejarlo en un vaso
cubierto un día natural. Y después henchir las tripas de vaca o puerco,
cual
quisiéredes, de esta masa y ponerlas a secar al humo.

My translation:

Recipe to make chorizos

Lean and fat pork meat, chopped; well-sifted flour, peeled garlic, ground
cloves, white wine, as much salt as is needed.  Knead it all with the wine,
and after it is kneaded, leave it in a covered vessel for one full day.
And
then stuff the intestines of cow or pig, whichever you prefer, with this
dough
and set them to dry in the smoke.

My redaction:

1-1/4 pounds lean ground pork
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
2 TBS flour
1/4 c. white wine
hog casings

Grind the garlic to a pulp in a morter with the salt.  Add the wine,
cloves,
and flour, and mix well.  Place the ground pork in a large plastic food bag
and pour the seasoning mix over it.  Seal the bag, and knead the contents
so that they become thoroughly mixed.  Refrigerate overnight.  Cook until
done.  Eat.

And then you wrote:

>On 8 Jul 2002, at 3:24, Olwen the Odd wrote:
>
> > God I wish I had what *she* was drinkin.....
> > Olwen, not fooled at all..

>At the moment, I'm drinking Mexican hot chocolate with cinnamon
>and cloves, made in the period fashion with water instead of milk.
>(And sweetened with Splenda instead of sugar.)
>

>Brighid ni Chiarain *** mka Robin Carroll-Mann

I was wondering where the hog casings came into play in your redaction or if
the vision of one giant sausage patty baked in a ziplock bag was what you
actually had in mind ;~)
Olwen