[Sca-cooks] Chorizo report

Randy Goldberg MD goldberg at bestweb.net
Mon Jul 8 03:45:39 PDT 2002

> I don't have a smoker.  I've read that one can improvise with a bbq
> grill, but I'm nervous about cooking pork thoroughly.  Trichinosis is
> *not* how I want to make my reputation as a cook.

Modern farm-raised pigs almost never have Trichinella cysts anymore. There
were 13 cases of trichinosis in 1997, and 19 in 1998, across the entire
country according to CDC statistics. Overcooked pork is nasty, and the
threat of trichinosis has essentially vanished (there were more cases of
leprosy reported in 1998 than trichinosis), so cook your pork medium rare!

Avraham

Avraham haRofeh of Northpass
     (mka Randy Goldberg MD)
OBTag: God may be subtle, but she isn't plain mean.