[Sca-cooks] Chorizo report

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Sun Jul 7 20:47:14 PDT 2002

At 11:23 PM 7/7/02 -0400, you wrote:
>On 7 Jul 2002, at 20:20, Laura C. Minnick wrote:
>
>> A random question for Brighid-
>>
>> The translation of the recipe (and so the original, but Spanish isn't
>> something I read well) says to 'set them to dry in the smoke' but your
>> redaction cooks instead of smoking. I would think that would give a
>> different result, wouldn't it? Is there a reason you cooked instead of
>> smoking, beyond the obvious one of 'it was easier...'
>
>I don't have a smoker.  I've read that one can improvise with a bbq
>grill, but I'm nervous about cooking pork thoroughly.  Trichinosis is
>*not* how I want to make my reputation as a cook.

That's reasonable. However, do we know what they would have been like if
they were smoked? A flavor difference? Texture? I'm not trying to be
difficult- it's just that when I make a substitution, I like to be able to
know what the other outcome would have been, if that... makes... any... sense?

>> Just wondering. I quite agree with the old saw about sausages and laws
>> being things one should never see being made...
>
>That's asuming that all kinds of yucky scraps are going into the
>sausage -- this wasn't any worse than meatloaf.

My kids used to get grossed out watching me make meatloaf, because I mix it
with my hands... raw eggs and all :-)

'Lainie