[Sca-cooks] RE:harassment was Male vs. female cooks

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Mon Jul 8 16:06:55 PDT 2002

At 06:21 PM 7/8/02 -0400, you wrote:
>>Just a point of information, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled a few years ago
>>that there is no such thing as same sex sexual harassment.  As far as I know
>>they haven't changed their minds.

Alright folks, I just looked it up, and you have it backwards. This is what
happened:

>In a recent decision, the Supreme Court confirmed the expansive scope of
sexual harassment law by ruling that same-sex sexual
>harassment constitutes illegal discrimination. Three other sexual
harassment cases dealing with questions of employer liability will
>also be decided before the justices' session concludes this summer. In
March, the Supreme Court unanimously ruled in Oncale v.
>Offshore Sundowner that Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which
makes it illegal for employers to discriminate on the
>basis of sex, is applicable to same-sex harassment. The sexual orientation
of the parties was deemed irrelevant.

You can see the rest of the pertinent info at:
http://www.now.org/nnt/05-98/supreme.html

As far as I'm concerned, harassment is harassment, and you do it to me and
I'll have your butt in a sling. Haven't had to yet- I find the whithering
stare usually has great effect. Maybe due to the 'Mom face', if you know
what I mean...

'Lainie