[Sca-cooks] Vinegar, was quails in period

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Jul 10 06:13:06 PDT 2002

Also sprach chirhart_1:
>whom makes this stuff!. I may be mistaken but the only coal tar vinegar
>derivative is used as a disinfectant and is 4% solution.It is said that it
>has a heavy pine smell.Used in England to disinfect cattle.
>Fleischmann's white vinegar is made from alcohol.Not coal tar.I guess what
>put the burr up my tucass
>was saying all white vinegar was coal tar when its not.   Master chirhart

Some white vinegar is made from petroleum, and some isn't. In
addition, I understand some of the alleged cider vinegars are also
petroleum-based, suitably colored and flavored with something, I
suppose. The point is, however, that distilled white vinegar is, to
one degree or another, pure acetic acid in a water solution, and
there should be nothing in it that isn't present in any other kind of
distilled vinegar. It may not have everything that's in the other
stuff, but it isn't like it's radioactive or anything. Certainly it
shouldn't smell like pine resins.

I think once you take your first vitamin or aspirin, you've pretty
much admitted the possibility that not everything you put in your
body is, strictly speaking, food. At one point in the late sixties or
early seventies, there was a trend of using mineral oil (which
doesn't get metabolized) as a culinary oil in allegedly low-calorie
foods, mayonnaise and such. The idea of a totally mineral-derived
vinaigrette can be a pretty scary one, I suppose...

Adamantius

deserves to be called a scholar."
	-DONALD FOSTER