[Sca-cooks] Loud Voices ansd Volunteering

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Wed Jul 10 09:32:07 PDT 2002

At 12:12 PM 7/10/02 -0400, you wrote:
>I have come under the influence of a friend who maintains that part of
>the SCA is that one does Something Useful at every event. It can be
>something that is your idea of fun, if that helps - my several hours in
>the kitchen chopping onions and the like count. Or it can be What Needs
>Doing - at the end of the day, when I get to sit down, he's taking down
>tables and mopping floors.
>
>So I start with the assumption that I would find something to volunteer
>for... I just didn't know enough to really know what, so figured I'd
>wing it. Besides, I am finding it to be the best way to meet people...
>interesting people, too - the ones who do things!
>
>Anne

Hear! Hear!
One of the things I have done with my girls the past few years is to insist
that if they go to an event, they must put in some volunteer time, and they
have come to see it as part of the event. They generally go if for the
waterbearing (I think they like how the fighters respond when pretty
teenagers show up with water ;-) but they also do Town Crier, help at gate,
list/herlad's runners, and Rotrude tried her hand at field heraldry at
Egil's (she had troubles with some of the names but can say 'Egil
Skallagrimsson Memorial Tourney' without missing a beat!).

The cool thing is- most om my girls just graduated high school, and they
are going off to all sorts of places for college- but they are all leaving
with an ingrained sense of service. I figure I have touched the future of
the SCA by sending them out with servant hearts.

my two pence,
'Lainie